Back to top

How to Stay Safe from Credit Fraud in 2018

Monitor  Credit Reports

Everyone is legally entitled to an annual free credit report from each of the three major credit companies. However, annual monitoring of your report alone is not enough to protect yourself from criminals looking to party on your dime. The credit companies work on a three-month cycle. You should be checking your credit reports every six months if not more regularly.


Freeze Credit File

The most fail safe method of securing yourself against credit fraud is freezing the line of credit. This freeze restricts access to your credit report. A freeze will stop new services or loans  being permitted using your details. It can be unfrozen whenever you choose. Learn more about freezing an account at TransUnion, Equifax or Experian.


Monitor Financial Accounts

Yes, you must settle your credit card balance each month, but that alone is not enough. You must also check your listed transactions to ensure those transactions were made by you. If you see a suspicious payment, contact your credit card company WITHOUT DELAY.



Tax-related identity theft is one of the IRS "Dirty Dozen" top tax scams. I can’t stress enough how important it can be to file taxes early. Being on top of your finances and filing W2s and 1099s as soon as you can will help you stay one step ahead of the credit crooks!


Don’t make life easy for criminals.

Secure yourself against credit fraud.

If you’re a victim: ACT FAST!


Shaklaw and Kemsley Law are now one and the same. We offer a free, no obligation consultation to review your situation and answer your individual questions about this or any aspect of bankruptcy law. Please contact us at 281-847-4345 or sends e-mail) so we can discuss your individual situation and see if Chapter 13 would work for you and how we can help you set up a plan to pay the required fees. The consultation is free. Take the first step by calling us today. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

We respect and guarantee the confidentiality of your case and personal information

CONTACT US (Texas Only)